Thursday, June 04, 2009

new zealand #1

Dear friends,



As you know, I’ve just begun my trip around the world. If you’re on this email list, it’s either because I thought you’d want to be or because you requested to be.



As some of you may not know, Erin and I (and Erin ’s friend Ron) were in a car accident Saturday night. It was kind of a bad one, but we escaped relatively unharmed—until the hospital broke my nose. But that’s another story. Anyway, we’re glad to be safe and healthy. And sad about Erin ’s car.



As you can imagine, I was afraid that my plane flight to New Zealand was going to be horribly painful and uncomfortable. Luckily a nice fellow named Patrick heard my plea and sat me in a row all by myself (!!!!). Quantas is AMAZING. Like 60 movies, food, drinks (including New Zealand and Australian wine)…it was kind of like being in a flying hotel. Plus, I slept.



Upson arrival I saw the sun come up over the bay...

http://www2.snapfish.com/slideshow/AlbumID=909132007/PictureID=31606938007/a=21470763_21470763/otsc=SHR/otsi=SPIClink/COBRAND_NAME=snapfish/

After getting here, I went to a couchsurfer’s place names Craig, who is absolutely lovely. I realized quickly that my coming and going, however, might be quite the pain in the ass for him. So I’m writing you from a hostel that’s nice. I like hostels, and this is the first one I’ve stayed in, but it’s pretty clean and the people are nice. And I can come and go as I please and all that.



The most exciting part of my day yesterday was when I ran into two girls from my plane on the street here in Auckland , and they decided to join me on my journey to try a find a plce called “5 below”. It’s just like the bar in the ice hotel! You have to put on huge parkas, boots, mittens…and you walk into a bar that has walls made of ice, ice sculptures, the bar is made of ice…the whole thing is ice! All the way down to the glasses that hold your drinks…also made of ice! Oh and there are couches (albeit hard ones) made of ice, too, and covered with animal hides. I’ve always wanted to go to the bar in the ice hotel, and now I don’t have to! It was lovely…here are pics to prove it.

Note that the glasses we're holding are made out of ice.

http://www2.snapfish.com/slideshow/AlbumID=909132007/PictureID=31606941007/a=21470763_21470763/otsc=SHR/otsi=SPIClink/COBRAND_NAME=snapfish/

TodayI splurged and took a ferry over to Waiheke Island and took a wine tour. It. Is. GORGEOUS. Here.
http://www2.snapfish.com/slideshow/AlbumID=909132007/PictureID=31610794007/a=21470763_21470763/otsc=SHR/otsi=SPIClink/COBRAND_NAME=snapfish/

http://www2.snapfish.com/slideshow/AlbumID=909132007/PictureID=31610795007/a=21470763_21470763/otsc=SHR/otsi=SPIClink/COBRAND_NAME=snapfish/

http://www2.snapfish.com/slideshow/AlbumID=909132007/PictureID=31610797007/a=21470763_21470763/otsc=SHR/otsi=SPIClink/COBRAND_NAME=snapfish/
A heron!
http://www2.snapfish.com/slideshow/AlbumID=909132007/PictureID=31606948007/a=21470763_21470763/otsc=SHR/otsi=SPIClink/COBRAND_NAME=snapfish/

I've just eaten a not that good lamb gyro thing (I'm trying to eat as much NZ land and NZ green lipped mussels as possible...in fact I bought lamb at the shop and will make it tomorrow...yum.

Now I'm off to go and see Linda's friend Jon Capal! He's on business and Auckland and I'll stay with him in Sydney once I get there. I'm really looking forward to trying these fejoa and passionfruit flavored spirits they have here, so we're going to try and make it to a bar.

cheers!

love,

sar

1 Comments:

Anonymous Marc Berger said...

Glad you are enjoyihng yourself and please continue to keep us all so well posted. I will bet that your take on hostels changes on this trip...for the worse. Love you, Cuz, be careful and safe; but at the same time, do not be afraid to do anything you desire. Fear is what causes people to have average vacations versus fantastic ones!

10:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home